There are many different branches of law, from personal injury and criminal defense to family law and medical malpractice. One of the most common branches is family law, as it encompasses a wide range of cases and scenarios. Many people associate family law attorneys with divorce and child custody cases, but there is actually a lot more to it than that. Family law attorneys hold a great deal of responsibility and must handle each and every case with the utmost respect and sensitivity, especially when children are involved. While most people enter into marriage and have children under the pretense this bond will last a lifetime, that is not always the case. This is why family law cases can be so complex and require the assistance of a knowledgeable and respected attorney who understands how the legal system works as it pertains to family law.
Domestic matters are often more intense than others, and understandable so. Because the issues that fall under the family law umbrella are so broad and concern relationships between loved ones, it is imperative you have a good family lawyer by your side to help navigate the system. A good family law attorney can advise you on what the best protocol is and provide you with helpful resources and information in order to help your case. With that in mind, today we are going to look at what some of the most common areas of family law are. If you have a general question about family law, or a question specific to your family law case, please do not hesitate to contact Worden Law Firm today.
Here are some of the most common cases of family law we handle:
- Divorce – Unfortunately, an overwhelming majority of marriages end in divorce nowadays. Whether because the spousal partners grew apart over the years or one party acted in misconduct, we are seeing more and more people file for divorce. That being said, dissolving a marriage isn’t as easy as many people think. It means settling a wide range of issues, including property distribution and child custody.
- Child and spousal support – Second to divorce, the most common type of family law case that we handle is child and spousal support, also called alimony. These types of cases often go hand-in-hand with divorce and can be one of the most contentious aspects of the proceedings.
- Child custody – Another outcome of divorce, child custody hearings are incredibly sensitive and require a compassionate, strategic lawyer. Whether you are looking to secure sole custody of your child or come up with an arrangement that benefits both spouses, we can help.
- Domestic violence – These types of cases deal with abuse or threats to two people that are currently or used to be in a relationship. Domestic violence cases can be challenging and stressful for all parties involved, which is where a good family law attorney comes in. Our attorneys will work with you to obtain a restraining order or order of protection, or help those wrongly accused of domestic violence.
- Adoptions – Last but certainly not least, family court also covers the addition of family members through adoption. Adopting a child is both a lengthy and expensive process, which is why it is recommended that you have a family law attorney by your side to ensure there are no missteps.