Oklahoma’s Drug Possession Lawyer
If you have been arrested on a drug possession charge in Oklahoma, you should contact an experienced drug defense attorney immediately. Oklahoma is a tough place to be arrested for drug possession, as the state has some of the strictest laws in the country. Depending on the facts, unlawful drug possession can be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or a felony.
Because Oklahoma is so strict when it comes to drug possession charges, it is highly recommended that you immediately seek legal advice when faced with a drug possession charge of any kind. Here is a brief look at a few of Oklahoma’s laws regarding drug possession:
- Possession of marijuana and illegal possession of some prescription medications is charged as a misdemeanor
- Some of these drug possessions, such as marijuana possession, can be charged as a felony if a subsequent offense occurs.
- Drug possession is always charged as a felony if the drug is a Schedule I or II controlled substances (CDS), excluding Marijuana
- Examples include Heroin, Cocaine, LSD, PCP, Methamphetamine, MDMA, Ecstasy, Hydrocodone and Morphine.
- Marijuana is a Schedule I drug but is treated as a misdemeanor offense for the first offense unless it is charged within 1000 feet of a school, park, vo-tech or college or in the presence of a child under 12.
The penalties for drug possession in Oklahoma can range from up to one year in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000 for misdemeanor charges. In the event you are charged with a felony drug possession, the range of punishment is much more severe and can result in up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. These punishments can also double or triple if the charge is in the presence of a child.
Oklahoma drug law is constantly changing, for more information on the specifics of drug possession in Oklahoma, please contact Worden Law Firm today.
Worden Law Firm is Here to Help
Drug possession charges are extremely serious and can wreak havoc on your future if not handled the right way. For this reason, it is imperative you contact an attorney from Worden Law Firm if faced with a drug possession charge. We have in-depth experience handling these types of cases and will work tirelessly on your behalf. Not only do we have the experience necessary to represent you, but we are well-respected amongst judges, other attorneys, prosecutors, and our clients. We take a hands-on, dedicated approach to every single case and will work around the clock in order to ensure you receive the best possible outcome.
We know how overwhelming these types of charges can be and want you to know we are in your corner. Regardless of whether this is your first offense or not, we will go over your case with you and come up with a strategy that will get benefit you. Our negotiation skills are unparalleled and our dedication to each and every case – no matter the offense – is undeniable. To schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys, please contact Worden Law Firm.