Child custody battles can be a nightmare. Most of the time, parents cannot initially agree on the division of time with their child or children. Child custody issues and disputes can be complex in Oklahoma. It is imperative you retain the services of a zealous, knowledgeable, experienced, and detail-oriented Norman child custody lawyer.
UNDERSTANDING CHILD CUSTODY LAWS IN OKLAHOMA
The child custody attorneys at Worden Law Firm understand how overwhelming and emotionally exhausting child custody battles can be, which is why we are here to help. We will ensure you have a good understanding of Oklahoma's laws as they pertain to child custody rights and help you determine how to proceed moving forward. If you are currently in the middle of a child custody battle and aren't sure what to do, please give our child custody lawyers a call.
DETERMINING CHILD CUSTODY IN OKLAHOMA
Child custody is determined on a case-to-case basis – no two families or situations are the same. We are here to make sure the child custody arrangements make sense to everyone involved, especially the children. Here are a few factors that are typically considered when evaluating child custody:
- The proceeding type: Is this case an initial determination of custody and/or visitation or a subsequent action such as a motion to modify a prior determination?
- The type of custody being decided is also important: Is this a case of sole or joint custody?
- The best interest of the physical, mental and moral welfare of the child or children.
- The Guardian Ad Litem's investigation report
- Which parent has been the primary caregiver
- Which parent will most likely allow the child or children frequent and continuing contact with the other parent
- The interest the parent shows in the child or children
- The financial stability of each parent
- Environmental factors
- Lifestyle of the parents
- History of substance abuse
- Domestic violence, stalking or harassment between the parties
- The safety and well being of the child
- Work schedules
- The child's preference (depending on their age)
For more information on child custody, custody agreements, and child custody laws in Oklahoma or to schedule an appointment with one of our Norman child custody attorneys, please contact Worden Law Firm today.